Sunday, February 28, 2016

Weekly Theme: Week of 02/28 to 03/05/2016

The Theme for this Week is Union.  We hear variations, of the following sentence, every January, in front of a Joint Session of Congress:  "The State of our Union is Strong".  There's also a Sunday Morning show, on CNN, called, "State of the Union".  So, everyone's concerned about, what, the State (Health)?  --  of our Union?  But do people even know what the word, "Union" mean?  I had to go to Google for that:  I see two categories of meanings:  The first, shows one reason people, elsewhere in the World have trouble learning English.  It's a "Noun, about a Verb":   "the action or fact of joining or being joined, especially in a political context".  (See, the "noun" is "action", about a verb, "join".  As far as I know, there isn't a derivative of "union", that's a verb, only derivatives of synonyms.  For example, a verb "Merge", the related noun, "Merger" which, as far as I can tell, is a direct synonym of Union).  Now, the 2nd meaning is easier to understand:  "Collective Bargaining", best known, in the usage of "Labor Union".  But this fits our Theme better, anyway.

Feel free to comment on this.  This BLOG even allows "anonymous comments".  (The reason I can allow this, is that I must moderate, anyway, against SPAM Bots.  But I haven't, yet, disallowed a comment, just because I disagreed with it).

No comments: