Saturday, November 29, 2008

Words for the Day for Saturday, November 29, 2008

The Words for today are Overview and Perspective.

Once again, I have two prior occurrences for these words: First, 98 days ago and, second, 49 days ago.

Let's see what I can say different. Google doesn't like defining Overview. I had to trick it a bit, but found another site for definitions. Besides what I'd come up with myself (Executive Summary), we see an obsolete definition used by Shakespeare, "an Inspection or Overlooking".

Now Perspective is a bit easier, since Google doesn't mind defining it. Actually, Wikipedia did a pretty good job, regarding visual perspective. They call "Optical Illusions" "Forced Perspective", for example. Let's see what they say about M.C. Escher? Talk about unusual perspectives! (By the way, define.com (see prior paragraph) did a pretty good job with Perspective also).

1 comment:

Kenneth Parker said...

This comment is actually a minor correction to the last paragraph in the post, where I linked to the incorrect define.com definition. Here's the correct link, defining Perspective.

I regret any inconvenience.

Ken Parker in Seattle.