Sunday, October 31, 2010

Weekly Theme: Week of 10/31 to 11/06/2010

The Theme for this Week is Choice.

We all have choice, even when we don't think we do. I recommend an intellectual exercise to try, next time you think, "I have no choice, I have to ____ [fill in the blank]". See if you can look at the situation, as if for the first time. With that view, you may well see that there are more than one alternative. Of course, it's possible that some of these choices are so much less pleasant than the others, that they seem to be not a choice at all. However, I feel a lot freer, saying, "I perceive five choices, but only one seems practical at this moment", than I do, saying, "I have no choice".

One place to look for choices is in the upcoming United States Midterm Election. Both political parties talk about the importance of jobs. However, one of them seems much less likely to be able to deliver those jobs. (Hint: Look at the voting pattern for the bills that have come up, directly having to do with job creation. One party is extremely consistent, but in the wrong direction!)

No comments: